Avoid These 7 Common Tax Mistakes Made by Small Businesses in Australia
By Travis Bacon
March 14, 2023
As an Australian small business owner, staying on top of your tax obligations is crucial to avoid any costly mistakes. Here are some common tax mistakes made by small businesses in Australia and how to avoid them.
- Failing to keep accurate records: One of the most common tax mistakes small business owners make is failing to keep accurate records. Keeping detailed records of all income and expenses is essential for lodging an accurate tax return. Make sure to keep track of receipts, invoices, and bank statements throughout the year.
- Mixing personal and business expenses: It's important to keep personal and business expenses separate. Failing to do so can make it difficult to claim deductions and could result in penalties from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
- Not registering for GST: Small businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more must register for GST. Failing to register can result in fines and penalties from the ATO.
- Failing to lodge on time: Lodging your tax return late can result in penalties and interest charges from the ATO. Make sure to keep track of lodgement due dates and seek assistance if needed.
- Failing to claim all deductions: Australian tax law allows for a range of deductions that small businesses can claim. Failing to claim all eligible deductions can result in paying more tax than necessary.
- Incorrectly classifying workers: Small businesses must ensure that workers are classified correctly as either employees or contractors. Failing to do so can result in penalties and fines from the ATO.
- Failing to pay superannuation: Small businesses must pay superannuation contributions for eligible workers. Failing to do so can result in penalties and interest charges from the ATO.
By avoiding these common tax mistakes, small businesses in Australia can ensure they remain compliant with tax laws and avoid costly penalties and fines. Seeking advice from a qualified accountant or tax professional can also be helpful in navigating the complexities of tax law.
How can TaxDigital help?
If you're a small business owner in Australia, navigating tax compliance can be challenging. At TaxDigital, we understand the complexities of tax law and offer an all-inclusive monthly pricing solution to help small businesses stay compliant. Our services include wages processing, bookkeeping, ASIC compliance, yearly tax preparation, etc., ensuring that your business stays on top of its tax obligations while also managing cash flow. With TaxDigital, you can rest easy knowing that your business is in good hands. Contact us today at 0407 438 849 or email@example.com to learn more about our services and how we can help your business thrive.
This is general advice only and does not take into account your financial circumstances, needs and objectives. Before making any decision based on this document, you should assess your own circumstances or seek personalised tax advice from us at TaxDigital. Information is current at the date of issue and may change.
Get the latest industry and tax information from our small business blog